Shaping a Heart - Dreaming

on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Home schooling...can be creepy to some folks.

When My Hero and I were first married, we lived next door to a home school family with five children. Everyday we came home from work on the verge of calling some government agency to report them. We didn't think it was creepy; we knew it was creepy. Noses pressed against the windows and that blank stare, ughhhh! Get a life! Please!

How could people do this to their children? We wondered this for years. hmmmm,....Then came a moment of enlightenment...

Nine years later, (or is it 10 ?), this is what has evolved...



Pajamas???!!! Oh no...now don't you feel like calling that agency? AND Chocolate chips? It's not even snack time. What about nutr, nutritio...oh, forget it.


"She's ruined"...are these thoughts running through your mind. Keep in mind that this is all between 10 and 11:00 in the morning. Prime brain hours at a traditional school. And this:



A most beloved pair of worn out ballet shoes...what proper teacher would allow that...on the desk!!!! It's an outrage. Gosh. (say that like Napoleon Dynomite, please)


My girl's curriculum is from Abeka Academy in Pensacola, FL. It's tried and true. Classes are all on DVD in an actual classroom. The only reason I really use it is because the math teacher is funnier than anything I've ever seen on Saturday Night Live. I am completely serious about that. We love him.

The upside of home schooling...she dreams...she dreams about the Joffrey Ballet, she dreams about being a Newberry Award writer someday. or...she's contemplating playing tricks on her older brother, or reading to her younger sister tonight, oh yeh...she's probably thinking about what's for lunch.

She doesn't think about who she'll sit with at lunch or what weird boy is trying to get her attention. She doesn't see her friend's character change just to be accepted, or wonder to herself if she should try that. (You were thinking...WHAT ABOUT SOCIALIZATION?...weren't you?)


Don't feel too bad about the whole thing...I do provide a world map for her.

What I love about home schooling: my children are as different from each other as night is from day, and range in age from 14 to 5 ...but... they are close. They truly enjoy each other's company.

A sibling relationship will last longer than any other during their lifetime. I'm so glad theirs is a strong bond. I never imagined this would be the case when we started this so many years ago. It's not the reason we did it.



But it is what happens when you give your heart to someone or something ...and trust.
In this case...just good old, God.


You get something better than you imagined it could ever be.




Try it..the trust thing, I mean...


It is ...all about... shaping a child's heart.

2 Comments from you:

Carrie P. said...

Your children so so cute. I just say "Ditto" to everything you said. I just love the relationship that my adult kids have with each other. It is something that my husband and I don't have with out siblings. I know their closeness is because we chose to homeschoo. Keep up the good work.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Good for you!! Your children are beautiful and your right there relationship with each other is very important for them. It looks like your off to a good start with that.
Cheering for you!!!!

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Thanks for the comment.