Another Tea Towel Apron

on Saturday, March 21, 2009


I can't resist! I have to make another one....this tea towel apron is for Baby Girl.


The fabric suits her to a T. These old fashioned beggin' dogs are right up her alley.






Here's a sneak peak...


She's so excited about it that she brought me a pansy!

For a look at my first tea towel apron, page down a little or click here.
Hope you enjoy...they make a very fun gift and I'm saying it's less than an hour to make...Here's the procedure:

MATERIALS:
1 tea towel
1 fat quarter
Cute coordinating thread

INSTRUCTIONS:
1- Shop for a tea towel...I think this one came from K-mart, the Martha Stewart Collection...not great quality but good enough. The first tea towel apron I did was a really nice large, thick towel...my suggestion is to search for a nice one, especially if you're giving it as a gift.


2-Make 3 strips...2 for sashing and 1 for the neck piece, I make mine 4" wide, stitch long sides together for a finished 2" strip. Then turn inside out. How long? Well, I just hold it up and guess...not very scientific but it works for me...it usually depends on how big my fat quarter is.

3- Make a pocket with whatever left over fabric you have from the fat quarter. I lay it on the tea towel and stitch it in 2 vertical spots to create 3 pockets (if it's a long, rectangular piece). You can add stabilizer to the inside of the pocket before this step but you don't have to. You can also get fancy by adding little pleats and sew your verticals spots inside the pleats.

4-Attach the sashing and neck piece, cut the tea towel from the neck piece to the sashing to "fit" the arm hole...does that make sense? Then finish that edge by turning under 1/2" and top stitch with your cute coordinating thread.

5-Enjoy!

I can go into more depth if there's interest but this is really easier than I've posed here.
I can promise you...whoever you are...you're a more experienced crafty, sewer, quiltey person than I am.

Go knock one out!

1 Comments from you:

Carrie P. said...

Love the puppy dog fabric. I know it is a cute apron.

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Thanks for the comment.