on Friday, April 17, 2009

Quilt Festival 2009


How many is too many? I have two crazy quilts. This one is silks and velvets with a hot pink silk backing. I can only imagine that the gal that put this together had a little "get up and go" about her. It's pretty bold to use those hot oranges and pinks mixed with plaids and dots.

See the bird, ...they were fussy cutting even 100 years ago!




This is one of my favorite blocks...love that olive green stuck in there.


While I didn't actually make this quilt, it has such special meaning to me...My mother and I bought this in Highlands NC for the purpose of decorating my first apartment in 1988. I hope I'm not breaking the Quilt Festival Rules!

Hot pink silk on the backing...very forward! Can you imagine what her husband would have thought of her using such wild fabrics, or even the talk in the town about it. Scandalous!

What was going on as the construction and decorative stitching were taking place. I'm usually watching TV or hiding in my sewing cave. My guess... this was probably done in a fairly affluent home (due to the access and quantity of silks and velvets) with a fire going and a very tired dog at the foot. Did she use bright fabrics to push away the harshness of winter, to seek a reminder of easier days of spring. What ever it was...it took a lot of time, patience, planning, and a little piece of her heart.

10 Comments from you:

Unknown said...

What a beauty this is. I wish I had kept a satan and velvet top that I somehow got years ago and just didn't appreciate what it was.'
This is fabulous.

Zonnah said...

Amazing!

Carrie P. said...

What a great quilt. I love the hummingbird fussy cut. I need to dig out one of my quilts for this show. So fun. I see many people have signed up for it.

Jocelyn said...

This is a very striking crazy quilt. The time and effort put into these quilts was amazing. It appears that the stitching is very carefully done.
Thanks for sharing.
Jocelyn

stitchinpenny said...

The quilt is great. Velvet and a hot pink back. A flash back to the sixties. My hippie roommate could have made it.

Quilt Rat said...

Wow! Great quilt, terrific story!

Micki said...

I love the quilt, and all of the embellishments!
Micki

Andi said...

What an amazing keepsake!

Unknown said...

What a treasure you found! I love all the questions to ponder about a quilt someone else made years ago! Thanks for sharing :)

Robin said...

This is beautiful! And such a treasure. Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Thanks for the comment.