Eye Spy 01

on Monday, April 27, 2009

I have a theory about Eye Spy quilts....and here it is....there are very few that I'm in love with.
Sounds like more of an opinion than a theory. Well...it goes like this...

I believe that to do one right, you need to gather fabrics until you're blue in the face or until you turn 90, which ever comes first.

Collect things you love like Paddington bear.

Even the Beatles. (but maybe not since it's a bright - what do you think?)

Then...put some thought into it...don't just slap those "jessies" together in rows, bind it and call it a quilt...put some LOVE into it, for goodness sake. That's the theory part.

Now...below....you will see what I mean by love: (notice the ribbon...it's from the Asheville, NC quilt show last year)


I'd love to talk to the woman who made this and know her thought process for:
1 - Criteria for collecting the fabrics - reds, blacks, tans then there are some that are wildcards
2 - Why this particular quilting pattern - I love it. Hand quilted, mind you.
And I'll go ahead and say....If I had the moolah...I'd have paid that $4,000 in a heart beat. It's worth every penny.


Look closely and see how some of the fabrics are vintageish, indianish, etc.
They don't seem to be tea dyed but they all work together like magic...
What's the secret???


I'm not sure but it makes for an extremely interesting Eye Spy quilt....
Any guesses on how this came about? I get the whole process of light and dark but the fabric collection and hand quilting....

there is a quilt genius among us some where.

6 Comments from you:

Jocelyn said...

Wow Lindsey, what a fabulous quilt. I love how she curved one of the borders. Truly an amazing quilt.

Unknown said...

Ok, my comment went into cyber space. So here goes again.
I love that quilt. I think it would be cool to tea dye a small quilt just to see what would happen...
I love your entry in the "festival" I surely would have picked it. I know that there were over 600 entries, but how they selected who they did is a mystery.
they just posted winners, not the reasons...
anyway we all see the quilts differently.
I liked yours a lot. Really a lot.

Robin said...

I'm with you: I-Spy quilts have always been kind of intimidating to me because it seems like to make a really good one would be a feat in fabric collection and design. This is an I-Spy quilt and sooooo much more. At this point, I can only dream about creating something so amazing.

Carrie P. said...

Well, you have been very busy cutting out fabrics for your quilt. It is going to be a fun a quilt and I am assuming you are modeling yours after the one in the show which will be awesome. That one in the show is so coo.

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm in complete agreement with your theory/opinion. I have seen so many I don't really care for. I love yours and I love the pattern you made with it. Nice job.

Victoria said...

I like your theory, as well as your fabrics. The quilt you that you have shown is a beauty, and I love those hand quilted circles! Fabulous!

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Thanks for the comment.