Black Quilts

on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Well...you know what a fool I am for black quilts....here's one I couldn't resist. It's Mennonite c.1895. I'm more astounded by the processes of these quilts than the product. These women were not running to the local quilt shop or pulling from their stash. They produced for a purpose, not entertainment. Am I getting too deep here?

I'm moving in that direction....would like to have no stash at all, have the attitude of "use what you have", be a good steward and all that other stuff. Could it be that I've been Amish all along? hmmmmm......?????

5 Comments from you:

Jocelyn said...

Amazing quilt! Love the color play. Wouldn't that be nice to use up stash. Trouble is, all the fabric companys are producing more beautiful fabrics. sigh........

Unknown said...

But isn't that what stash is? You know "use what you have"?
Black seems to be popping up in a lot of quilts these days. Maybe it's the new white.
They must have had "stash" you just can't make a blanket size quilt without some of it.
O my, thunder and lightning...must go.

Carrie P. said...

It is a great quilt. Thanks for sharing. Hope you find your camera card. Maybe it is still stuck in the computer. You sure have been busy. Can't wait to see your 9 patch.

jude said...

love it too.

Robin said...

What a lovely quilt! The colors and designs of Amish quilts always inspire me. And you're right, there is just something about knowing that the quilt was utilitarian and meant to be used and loved that makes it unique and makes me appreciate it in a different way.

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Thanks for the comment.