Patience for a Penley

on Sunday, May 22, 2011



Are you an "instant gratification" kind of folk or wait 'til the cows come home' kind of folk? Hmmm...I'd have to say, in this particular case, the cows have come home, produced heirs for several generations, and provided some great fourth of July hamburgers.

You see...I waited. I could have saved my pennies for years and bought my own Steve Penley painting (somehow). May have had to forego food and shelter at times, would have been worth it. But, decided to not spurge. My Hero and I even thought about letting that be our 20th wedding anniversary gift to each other, but it really would have been for me so ...naaawwww. At the school auction, I pulled out of the bidding for one he did on cardboard...it went for $20.00 more. It's as it should be.

I've coveted, studied, enjoyed and longed for...the artwork of Steve Penley. It's been more than a decade that it's been a secret desire of mine, kept to myself mostly and admittedly ashamed of how much I enjoy his work. He's an upstanding guy as well. I've heard him speak at a local school and he may have missed a career as a stand up comedian. It takes true talent to do that without the dirty jokes and he's accomplished for sure. I didn't know if I enjoyed his talk more or that he can whip out a portrait of Jesus, in no time flat, that will put you on your knees. There's something down deep in that guy.

Here's my story:
Atlanta Ballet is near and dear to my heart, no secret there. It's time for the end of the year concert for the students. Hectic. Exciting. Inspiring. Bring you to tears kind of moments. In order for all of that to happen, the teachers (and a host of volunteers) need to give up their personal lives for these students for 2-3 weeks in order to make 2-3 minutes on stage a life changing experience for the dancers.

One teacher, in particular, is near and dear to my heart. She, knowing that I love Steve Penley, somehow, by hook or crook, gave to me... a gift of a lifetime.

After the show, after the parents and children have gone home, after all the candy wrappers have been picked up, the sweet teacher says has something for me. With her best poker face, she claims it's backstage and will be right back....returning, she has a large board, turns it over and reveals a signed and numbered "Hearts for Haiti" to which Steve Penley added hand painting.

I cried and cried.... She cried, my little one, standing there watching it all unfold,.... teared. Then I went home and cried. I wrote this post and....well... , cried.




Patience.

22 Comments from you:

Yvette said...

What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing. It's great to see you blog again.

Mr. Billy said...

Dog gone it people love you. Can you blame them:)

ChelleBelle said...

Stumbled across your blog by clicking the "next blog" button. Ate up your life flight story and some of your postings. <3 to see other's loudly living life, creating and loving. thanks for sharing!

nanci said...

I've missed you! I wondered if your life was so totally busy that you just stopped blogging! I see you have been busy. I'm hoping you come back to blogland for a while and let us in on your happenings! I actually looked for you for ages to see if you blogged.

Kathleen Coy said...

Hi Lindsey, what a beautiful story! It sounds like you have some wonderful friends.

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. It was so neat to hear about your grandfather. Yes, the oil painting of the mules is for sale. It is 700.00, which includes the frame and free shipping in the US. If you're still interested, you can contact me through the email in my profile.

Thanks again for writing, and best wishes!
Kathleen

varicose veins detroit michigan said...

Ah you're one lucky gal. You also deserve it though :)

home security monitoring said...

This site is good because they give us a new thing and new ideas and new topic how good all of they are we should appreciate them because of these good thing.


Home Security

Anonymous said...

That's cool..

Check this out:

http://blogyacht.blogspot.com

Meditours said...

Meditours is committed to providing medical treatments of the highest medical standards today by world renowned surgeons performing peer reviewed procedures with high rates of success.

Count on Meditours to connect you with the most highly qualified and experienced doctors in their field. Our team of medical staff ensure that all aspects of your health are in check pre and post procedure. We perform treatments on Parkisons, Dystonia. We have experts in Plastic Surgery and Orthopaedic treatments. We also offer packages that include Ayurveda spa-like and restorative treatments

For further details go to: http://www.meditours.org/

Mathew said...

This blog is a great sourse of information for me. Thank you.

FOR BEST INFORMATION HEART PROBLEMS.

Kendi said...

These articles are fantastic, The information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written, very informative. It’s just nice! continue posting. Thanks!

Kendi of house and lot in the philippines

♥April Monique♥ said...

I was very happy to have found this site. I wanted to thank you for this excellent information! I have no doubt like a little and I have saved your blog to make sure you write something new on the road.

buy and sell

kristine said...

Nice Post! Thank you for sharing this wonderful article and the information you show us is interesting for everybody ...It’s just great!! More Powers to your blog..

- kristine of website design

Althea Shareen said...

It’s a very interesting and informative blog, thanks for the article I really liked your blog and I really appreciate it... It’s just great!! Continue posting...More Powers to your blog..


- Althea Shareen of tourist spots in manila

Clipping Path Service said...

I like too much of your blog cause its look like hand writing. I enjoy it, it is so enjoyable and much appreciate. Then your blog information. It's also be important.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

Also visit my website: openmindspace.org

Anonymous said...

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

Here is my page; openmindspace.org

Anonymous said...

Thankfulness to my father who shared with me concerning this website,
this website is truly remarkable.

Also visit my blog workouts for vertical leap

Anonymous said...

You need to be a part of a contest for one
of the best blogs on the web. I am going to recommend this site!



Also visit my web site; workouts to increase vertical

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the
-Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now
on whenever a comment is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment.
There has to be a means you are able to remove
me from that service? Cheers!

My web page workouts to increase vertical leap

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I'm
assuming having a blog like yours would cost a
pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% sure.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Also visit my web page - http://www.palswap.com/

Linda J. Prieto said...

WOW, nice hearts
image manipulation

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Thanks for the comment.